“What is the first step to take to clean up your CRM data”?
Nearly everyone I pose this question to gets it wrong. The typical answer is “dedupe the CRM”.
This list was for a client: A stream of consciousness cut & paste from an email. He needed something to discuss with his team. He no longer believes dedupe (alone) will solve his data problems.
The real list is longer, but you only get that if you are my client.
- Silo Identification – Identify the sources of data.
- Structured Capture – Pool data from CRM, lists & databases.
- Unstructured Capture – Extract & Datamine. Email archives, etc.
- Data Assessment – Getting the facts about the data.
- Assessment Review –
- Consultation – blah blah
- Data Standards Plan – Design a strategy for future data standards.
- Data Normalize – Standardize according to Data Plan.
- URL Fill – Complete URL’s to disambiguate target objects.
- Data Mapping – Define and align data from all sources.
- Concatenate Silos – Combine into unified destination
- Duplicate Detection Rules -Define what constitutes a duplicate
- Resolution Plan –
- Scoring Plan – Develop weights for conflicting data sources
- Silo Merge – Merge data according to weights in scoring plan
- Automated Dedupe – auto
- Duplicate resolution – manual
- Data Actions – what happens w/ data
- Clean Review
- Address Correction
- Company Profiling
- Email Fill
- Enhancement Review